Re: pH meter

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 10/17/03-01:11:40 AM Z

I read your webpage before I posted and with the exception of the
Kodak paper I didn't see any citations. Nothing personal but I've read
lot's of webpages, including some on pH measurement, that were just
plain wrong. There's a lot of B.S. about pH measurement out there and
some controversy about methods (look into the methods for the
measurement of the pH of paper for example: hot soak, cold soak,
etal).

FWIW I already know how pH is measured and the theory behind it.
While I would agree that gel filled electrodes might be problematic
for applications requiring long contact times with samples or perhaps
in a production or development environment it HAS NOT BEEN my
experience, over the last 25 years, that a gel filled probe is
problematic for periodic measurements in my lab (and it's a production
lab). Given that most photographers don't have the time to dink
around with electrode maintenance especially when pH measurement is
not done on a daily basis I suspect a gel-filled electrode might be
the best and cheapest way to go.

-greg