Re: pH meter

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 10/17/03-08:14:25 AM Z

From: Greg Schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: pH meter
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 03:11:40 -0400 (EDT)

> There's a lot of B.S. about pH measurement out there and
[...]
> FWIW I already know how pH is measured and the theory behind it.

Didn't you just say that you didn't know about a very well known
problem with pH measuring probes? Very amusing.

Anyway, as a suggestion for Kris Erickson, I suggest to get an
inexpensive refillable, double junction probe with a decent display
unit. Still, like any pH meter, you need to calibrate the system at
the beginning of each session or the reading won't be accurate (the
probe voltage drifts a lot and this needs to be corrected each time).
If this is too cumbersome, I recommend to get boxes of pH test strips
-- it has limitations, but for typical darkroom use, fine step ones
are quite decent, and they do not require calibration like pH meters
do. There is no cheap, easy, maintenance free pH probe usable for
darkroom solutions.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)