Re: Sally Mann

From: Grace Taylor (gtay22@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/17/03-03:53:32 PM Z

on 10/17/03 1:17 AM, Ender100@aol.com at Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Comments by Sally Mann?
>
> Could you tell us a little bit about what is interesting? I've not heard of
> the book and don't have access to it...
>
> Mark Nelson
>

> In a message dated 10/16/03 8:05:42 AM, gtay22@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << A very interesting in-depth commentary on Sally Mann's photographing of her
> children is in Chapter 5, Maternal Exposures, of the book Family Frames by
> Marianne Hirsch. Grace >>

Mark, I'll try to answer your question. The chapter is 37 pages long and
more than half of it is commentary on Mann and her photographs. There is
some discussion of the adverse reaction there has been to her photographs of
her children, some comments on the pictures themselves, and some points of
view that I have not seen elsewhere. One section discusses the way young
children gain a sense of self through the visual confrontation of mother and
child, comparable to looking in a mirror and seeing (in the mother's
responsive face) who they are. With Mann and her children, often the visual
confrontation was not between mother and child but between child and
camera, behind which was the mother. How would this affect the child's
developing self-image? Were Mann's pictures more about herself than about
the children?

Maybe this is enough to convey why I found the chapter so interesting, but
it is only a small part of the whole, and perhaps not expressed very well.
There were many positive comments as well, and some empathy.

I assume you have tried your local library since you say you don't have
access to the book. Perhaps you could find a used copy of the book on
Amazon.com. Worth trying. Grace