Re : source gold or platinum CDs for storage dig images, etc.

From: Jean-Paul Gandolfo (jpgalt@infonie.fr)
Date: 10/20/03-01:49:58 AM Z

Dear list
Last october, I was in Helsinki to take part to a conference connected
with photographic conservation entering the digital age (SEPIA european
program, Savaguarding European Photographic Images for Access).
Among the many lectures given about this topic, one of them was related with
CD and DVD problems in termes of conservation. Beyond the material
approach, the author, Jean-Marc Fontaine (working in Musical Acoustics
Laboratory, Paris) stressed the fact that recorder, reader (not always the
same one), and specialy engraving speeds are crucial factors in terms of
futur access to datas. Metals you can finfd in reflective coating (Silver,
PD ..) are important but also dye materials used for engraving. We aren't
very far from color photography and dye fading problems.
Read the paper and never again you will buy a speedy machine ...

You can find abstract of this lecture on SEPIA web site (english speaking)
http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/sepia/conference.html (PDF files for downloading)

Best regards
.

--