Re: source gold or platinum CDs for storage dig images, etc.

From: Dennis Moser (aldus@angrek.com)
Date: 10/20/03-04:54:27 AM Z

Greg has brought up an excellent resource (CoOL, the original online
conservation resource!) and I thank him for correcting his stance on
the cold storage. Remember that all of the degradation we have
mentioned is chemical in nature and all chemical reactions are slowed
down by lower temperatures, so yes, both dye degradation and
substrate oxidation will be slowed down by a lower temperature.

Jean-Paul Gandolofo (you're the first person I've heard about that
attended that SEPIA conference!) mentioned one of the other bugaboos:
recording speed. Yes, by all means, when you are burning for keeps,
use the SLOWEST possible speed that your software and hardware will
allow.

But a special thank-you goes to Grace Taylor for having Diversified
Systems Group's phone number for ordering those Mitsui gold disks!

Zip disks, SyQuest cartridges, floppy disks...a trend here? Actually
I have a drive for my (running!) pre-PowerPC Mac (a IIci) that will
read 5 1/4" disks...8-)...and you can guess why...

Dennis Moser

--
"That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time"
--John Stuart Mill (1806-73)