Re: Galina's website

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/21/03-12:35:17 PM Z

I speak from the apparently unique vantage of not having visited or even
tried to visit Galina's website.... because, among other reasons, I never
go to a --- aiyyeee!! -- website unless there's a gun at my head, besides
which, my evil browser is STILL down (may it RIP).

However I have seen a couple of Galina's CDs, even several times wandered
through them and then again... the descriptions here sound as if the
website carries many of the design principles if not the actual images of
the CDs. I found them brilliant, original, provocative and memorable --
as I find her photo objects (hard to call them "photographs") generally.
My reservations were more or less what seems to be provoking the protest
re website -- you had to abandon control and linearity, you didn't know
for sure what you'd visited or how to get back there or how much you might
have missed.

In a way that added an element to the CD experience... a tension or edge
that was (for me) both plus and minus. But I find the minus part on most
websites without much in the plus column... No matter the intention,
they're disorganized and confusing, unclear, you have to do a lot of
guessing. If I want to guess, I'd rather have it a la Galina, an art form.

True, her web art form might possibly ruffle fewer feathers if folks
weren't expecting a simple show of prints, but an event in itself...
Meanwhile, re her frames with figures -- they're my favorites... In fact
this year I cast a few objects myself -- very small & so far only in
plaster, but yum yum, another "alternative" process.

cheers,

Judy