Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Niranjan Patel (niranjan.patel@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 10/26/03-08:19:35 PM Z

Sandy:

Could you not selectively dissolve any un-coated/un-replaced/un-toned silver
remaining in the print with dilute nitric acid. Then use various reactions
to detect silver in the solution (check this link:
http://129.93.84.115/Chemistry/DoChem/DoChem109.html>.)

I suppose the above will not answer your first question of whether the
toning occurs by way of replacement or surface-coating. It seems to me
that this question would be best answered by the more involved photonic
techniques. However, you do not have to do it every time.

Sounds like a fun project....

Niranjan.