Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 10/27/03-01:11:41 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

> I came across this test for fixer - I suspect it tests for
the presence of
> silver. I wonder if you could adapt it to test your toned
prints. I'm
> not sure of the chemistry involved though.
>
> -----
> Fixer Test
>
> Mix together:
>
> 5 drops of a 20% solution of potassium iodide
> 5 drops of your fixing bath
> 15 drops water
>
> A yellowish white precipitate (not slight milkiness)
indicates fix is
> exhausted.
> -----
>
> Gord

  The Potassium Iodide test is for fixing baths. The Iodide
combines with any silver in the solution to form Silver
Iodide, which will not go into solution if there is an
excess. Edwal HypoChek is a packaged version of this.
  What Sandy is asking about is testing for a silver
compound or protected silver. This won't work for that.
  I think Ryuji is probably on target.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA