Re: More on framing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/27/03-09:33:50 AM Z

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Etienne Garbaux wrote:

> I've never been satisfied with matte "anti-glare" glass, nor with any of
> the plastics I've seen, including anti-reflection coated polycarbonate
> [caveat: I'm sure there are many plastics that I have not seen].
> Anti-reflection coated glass is the hands-down winner, in my opinion. The
> largest supplier in North America is Denglas, a division of the optical
> coating company Denton Vacuum:
>
> http://www.denglas.com/
>
> Denglas has lots of distributors worldwide:
>
> http://www.denglas.com/prod/framing/distributors.html
>
> and has the museum market here all but exclusively to itself.

Some years ago I bought something called "museum glass" which may or may
be the same as "Den Glass.." But the reason I spent what was not a small
amount was for the color... I wasn't so much concerned with the
reflections as with the color of a delicately nuanced gum print, which
actually came through ENHANCED or somewhat deepened though this glass,
while the regular window glass flattened and grayed it so much there could
be no choice.

I've done some on & off experiments with varnish & sprays, since for many
settings I prefer no glass at all... so far they're still *experiments*
and I'd be very happy to hear advice and experience of others on the
topic.

Has anyone found anything that gives a permanent cleanable archival non
yellowing coat -- other than glass? I recall the old Epson list advised
lacquer matt spray varnish... Has anyone put that on a silver print? On
a cyanotype or gum?

Judy