Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 10/31/03-03:00:25 PM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

>One question is people report that selenium toner reverses the gold
>toning if silver-gelatin prints are double toned. So people usually
>selenium tone first, and then gold. Sulfide is probably worse,
>depending on which formula you use. But if your goal is to maximize
>protection, I would suggest to try a polysulfide toner or (polysulfide
>+ selenium) toner and see if it affects the image hue or quality in
>any way. If kallitype grains are big, hue shift should be minimal,
>especially most of the silver is covered by palladium. Also, if grains
>are big, selenium toner should be also very effective, but if grain
>size distribution is unknown, I think sulfide is more reliable.
>
>Another option is AGFA Sistan or Fujifilm Ag Guard.

Thanks for the information. I will experiment with selenium and
polysulfide toning after palladium toning. And if I may test your
patience, one further question. Would the bleach test I described
earlier serve to show if the remaining silver metal had been
converted to something else? In other words, if this procedure is
effective would it reduce the loss of visual density during bleaching
to near zero.

Sandy