Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 10/31/03-03:20:36 PM Z

Bleach test you did is a good test for resistance against oxidative
attacks. If you can attain near zero change in density before and
after bleaching, that's a fairly good sign of stability. In the
literature accelerated peroxide fuming test is a standard test but
Doug Nishimura told me that that test was chosen because peroxide is a
common oxidative agent in reasonable storage/display environment. With
microfilm samples, weak sulfiding treatment is shown to be completely
effective against such accelerated peroxide attacks, though selenium
treatment failed. My experience with silver gelatin prints is also
that polysulfide or mixture of polysulfide and selenium holds up more
strongly in bleach test than plain selenium treated prints.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)