Re: Gum Woes

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/01/03-11:26:39 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> > Is there a way of hardening the gum without creating the
> > brown color?
>
> Not really. Gum will "harden" if left out in the air, but it's not
> really permanently hardened; it will redissolve if it gets wet.

Always I have these afterthoughts.

Theoretically, the answer is yes, you should be able to harden the gum
without the brown color, or without very much of it. It's certainly
possible to make gum prints in which the gum is properly hardened
without getting a tan color in the print; I do it all the time. But it's
probably not possible, using the sun, to harden the gum (unprotected by
a negative) without getting the brown color, as the more intense the
light source, the more likely the brown color, even with very short
exposure times. Hope that's clearer,
Katharine