please help required on building a 360 degrees pinhole camera

curzon@tegenlicht.com
Date: 09/06/03-09:20:09 AM Z

Hello everybody,
I have made three wooden pinhole cameras recently, just for the fun of it.
I've posted some pictures on:
http://pinhole.tegenlicht.com/pinholefotos.htm

Now I want to take this hobby a step further:
I want to build a pinhole camera for a view of 360 degrees (= all around)
and I could use some help with it.

I was thinking about deviding the camera into six chambers (each one to
cover 60 degrees) with each a pinhole. So, to make “one 360 degrees
 picture” I'll have to open six pinholes. This can be done simultanious or
after each other without moving the camera.
I want to use paper negatives in this camera. The size of the finished
picture will be kind of 100x600 mm (about 4x23.5”).
I want to build the camera out of wood. The top can be removed to put the
negatives in place. A first drawing is posted on my website:
http://pinhole.tegenlicht.com/design360.htm

I'm plannig to use the following measurements:
· focal length: 80 mm
· negative size: 100 x 100 mm
· pinhole diameter: 0.40 mm
· angle of view from pinhole: 64 degrees (??) (= more than the needed 60
degrees).

My questions are:
1) Should the angle of view from the pinhole be larger, smaller or the same
as 60 degrees (= angle of each of the six chambers) to make a good 360
degrees picture?

2) 2)If the focal length is 80 mm and the negative size is 100x100 mm for
each pinhole of 0,40 mm (f /200), is it possible to cover the whole 360
degrees of view??

3) I’m planning on using six pinholes in six chambers. Is this a smart thing
to do? (Why not 5 chambers or 7??). Is there a better/easier construction to
do this?

4) Should I use one negative and roll it into a circle in the middle of the
camera (like a curved filmplane) or should I make six flat filmplanes
opposite of each pinhole (this way making six negatives)? I don’t mind to
add these six negatives together later.

5) Can someone show me an example of two pictures made with the same camera:
one with a flat film plane and one with a curved film plane? I'm wondering
what the effect/distortion will be.

I thank you for your help,

Bert from Holland