Re: Epson 836XL Re: Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. . . ?

From: Gary Nored (gnored@centurytel.net)
Date: 09/06/03-09:06:08 AM Z

On 4 Sep 2003, at 13:24, Sandy King wrote:

> And this brings me to a question. When I originally bought
> the 836XL the software allowed for 36 bit color and 12 bit
> monochrome. However, recently I downloaded software from the
> Epson website that allows 48 bit color and 16 bit monochrome
> with the 836XL. I was surprised to find this feature in the
> new software since I thought that the number of bits would
> be determined by the hardware of the machine and not the
> software. Can anyone comment on this and/or perhaps direct
> me to a source that could explain how this could be?

In terms of hardware, bits are packaged in sets in the
form of bytes and bytes usually are built in multiples of 8
bits. You _could_ manufacture 12-bit hardware devices,
but it would be much more expensive than the 16-bit
devices you can buy off the shelf. The design of the
digital hardware for the 836XL was almost certainly 16-bit -
- the software designers simply chose to use only 12 of
the 16 bits available. Your new driver uses them all.

Gary Nored