Re: Gum Woes

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 09/09/03-05:15:11 AM Z

Yes, Judy, I went to Kremer and had a look - mind-blowing to someone who has
never even SEEN pure pigment! I will be able to spend many happy hours there
daydreaming I guess. Anyhow, today I coated some glass using a tiny drop of
glycerine in the emulsion - being both a surfactant and a humectant, it
certainly reduced bubbles and the surface was noticeably smoother. I expect
drying time may be a bit longer but that doesn't worry me as I always wait
24 hours before printing on this emulsion anyway. I also added formaldehyde
as a substitute for glutaraldehyde - i can't get this without major
hassles - so tomorrow will see if the additives have made any difference -
strictly speaking I should have tested each separately, but I'm pretty stuck
for time now with November looming menacingly at me!

The weather is totally awful for gum so I'm hoping that will change - we do
have a u.v. printer here but it is calibrated for silkscreen film and also
in another department so I'm hesitant to even try it. The thought of working
out exposure times for another light source makes me feel tired!

I kind of like the idea of restoring natural fats to skin and bristles - at
this time of the year (early spring) I feel this could be an alternative
beauty treatment :)
Cold and snowy here today and more to come.....

Kodak - what can one say??????? :(
Kate