Re: Rollers for gum (was: Re: coating method)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/10/03-03:50:50 AM Z

Clay Harmon wrote:

> My language was imprecise. I should have said "with some old
> silver-gelatin negatives.." Meaning i developed them with a lower
> density range than would be normal for my usual palladium. My thinking
> was that they might make some dandy negatives with which to print one
> coat gum.

Thanks for clarification; I thought that might be the case.

As to whether gouache is the best way to go for one-coat gums, this is a
matter of taste. I'm starting to see, as a result of watching
discussions here, that some people apparently equate density with
opacity; they think they haven't achieved sufficient density in gum
unless no light comes through the paint from the paper at all; they want
a flat dead tone like a graphic arts poster. To me density and opacity
are two different things. You can have density without opacity (which I
prefer) or opacity without density (with a light-colored gouache, for
example). If you want opacity, with or without density, use gouache; if
you want density without opacity, use watercolor.

A good density for one-coat gum can be achieved with many watercolor
pigments or mixtures thereof. What I do is mix complements to make
darks, just as I do in painting
Katharine