Re: Opacity vs transparency (Was: Re: pigment for gum )

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/11/03-08:18:32 PM Z

Yu rei wrote:

.

> >density is a separate issue from opacity.
>
> No.

Yes. You're missing my point as well. We're talking about paint here,
and with paint, density is a separate issue from opacity. A paint can
have a very dark value (density) but be transparent. A paint can also
have a very light value but be opaque. In other words, opacity and
density are separate issues, in gum printing.

> Katherine, I belive, is limiting her language of the use
> of "Opaque" (100% opacity) whereas the other person is
> not.

No, I'm not. There are certainly gradations of opacity and I haven't
suggested that there aren't. Some watercolor paint is very transparent,
while other watercolor paint is partially or even quite opaque. But all
gouache is opaque, which is what we started out with. The issue is that
people make the mistake of thinking that opacity is necessary for
density in gum printing, and what I'm saying is that it's not.
Katharine