Re: Opacity vs transparency (Was: Re: pigment for gum )

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 09/12/03-11:03:14 AM Z

 --- Katharine

Hi. I love this topic, because this is one example where
terms and traditions perhaps differ among the arts; I have
always been amazed at concepts such as positive and
negative colors; primaries and complimentarys etc. etc.

but

I am having trouble visualizing opaque transparencies.
and transparent opaques!

Perhaps you could explain how "transparency" in painting
is defined. Do you have any examples I could look at to
gain a better understanding of the concept?

You said:
>A paint can have a very dark value (density) but be
>transparent.

Yes. I agree with this.

(You would not call this "opaque", would you?)

You also said:
>A paint can also have a very light value but be >opaque.

I think I understand this, too.

My understanding of this is that an opaque paint, light in
value, which is transparent, doesn't "hide" the underlying
base color... is this correct?

And equally...
I guess if a very dark (intense?) color, did not stop you
from seeing the undercolor (or the surface of the base
material), you would call this
"transparent"?

Is this correct?

If so, wouldn't that mean that the paint, which is very
dark (intense?) is incompletely opaque???

I understand that your original intention(*) was
different, but I would like to understand how these terms
are used being used here.

Thanks,

Ray