Re: OT question about monitor gamma

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/12/03-02:43:26 PM Z

Clay wrote:

> The only reason I'm piping in here is because I just read this in the
> Fraser et al Photoshop book. They claim that while Apple may claim to
> have monitor gammas of 1.8, they (the authors) actually measured them
> to be closer to the PC standard of 2.2, and recommend that even Mac
> users should use the 2.2 setting for their color profiles. I'm just
> parroting what I've read here, but it sounds reasonable to go ahead and
> acknowledge that 92% of the world will use 2.2 as the standard and just
> go along with the crowd. I mean this is not the same level of
> importance as is the proper way to print gum, after all.
>
> So, gouache or transparent?

(Chuckle) I'm not touching that last question with a long stick.

I like your answer above, because I've spent a bunch of time adjusting
images for a potential website so that they would look okay at 2.2 as
well as at 1.8, and I kept fiddling with them until now they actually
look better at 2.2 and too light at 1.8. And then I had this horrible
thought, what if the PC gamma isn't 2.2 anymore? So your answer pleases
me quite a lot.

But I/m not sure I agree that the two gammas are that close together.
When I toggle back and forth between the two, the difference in how the
images look is not just noticeable, but significant.

Color profile? What's that ;-)

Thanks,
Katharine