Negative Montages and Gender Politics, may be considered OT

From: Steve Bell (sbell1@artic.edu)
Date: 09/13/03-04:39:57 PM Z

Hey Everyone,

firstly i'd like to start off by apologizing for my inactivity on the list
over the past few months. i feel like this is a great community, and i've been
neglecting it somewhat. i'm in school in chicago now, and i am presently in a
color photo class, so my time for alt processes has been minimal.

so here's my question:

i'm presently working on a photo project that is based on gender politics.
i.e.- the idea that gender does not exist, or that it doesn't exist in such
black and white terms as 'boy' and 'girl' or 'man' and 'woman'. that there are
varying degrees of the characteristics that make up these definitions. so what
i plan to do with this is shoot people in the studio and out of the studio,
shoot people basically, and then cut up the negatives (most likely 120, but
very possibly i will use 4x5). so the idea is to cut up the negatives, and
take different parts of peoples' bodies that give visual cues to gender, and
make negative montages or collages. i'm going to try to put these pieces of
negatives together to fit the size of an 8x10 piece of sheet film, and then
make mural size color prints.

now what i planned to do was to sew the negatives together, which i will do
partially, as that is definitely a gender cue in and of itself, but i don't
want that to be my only technique for affixing the negatives to each other.
does anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? i remember reading
in the James book about a photographer who, towards the end of his career,
took the tons of negatives that he had over the years and did a similar thing,
making 8x10 contact prints of negative collages. my copy of that book is back
in baltimore, so if anyone knows who that artist is, that would be a helpful
resource.

any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Steve