RE: OT QUESTION

From: Jonathan Bailey (jon@jonathan-bailey.com)
Date: 09/17/03-06:26:18 AM Z

Bob,

    I just received an e-mail from someone who would like me to do a three
> day private class with them bringing them up to speed on darkroom
> techniques. As I usually teach in groups I have NO IDEA what would be a
> reasonable amount to charge per day for this private teaching. Please let
> me know what you all think.

Last summer I had the same situation arise after my Santa Fe workshop didn't
make minimum enrollment numbers....

I have posted a rate of $600/day at my website. To be honest, I use that
number as a point of departure as I am willing to take specific needs and
situations into consideration. For example, if someone wants only one or two
days the rate would be higher per day than if they wanted five or six. I
also consider the people themselves. What have they been like to deal with
(as an indicator of what our time together might be like). Are they coming
to be with you specifically, or is this part of a larger travel plan?? What
time of the year are they coming (i.e. is this "prime time" for you, or is
it off season??). For my situation here, these are all things that figure
subtly into my final decision.

Anyway, last summer I ended up doing a six day private tutorial - and I
charged $300/day. It was an excellent experience for both of us, and it's
turned into a genuine friendship - someone with whom I am delighted to
remain in contact.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!!

Jon