PS About Witkin Re: Diane Arbus

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/19/03-12:39:22 PM Z

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I can't really see how Diane's name could possibly be mentioned along
> > with Witkin, who is, IMHO, a complete psychopath and a prime candidate
> > for expulsion from Plato's Republic. .

IMO Witkin is a genius, something of an evil genius perhaps, but still a
genius. I'd hazard also that the diagnosis "complete psychopath" for
someone who lives within civilized law and only makes naughty *pictures*
would not be corroborated in the DSM 3 (or maybe it's 4 by now). After
all, if we go out on the streets with our eyes open we can see a good deal
of what Arbus showed us, delicious as it is... Witkin comes up with
amazing/stunning inventions from his own imagination.

Not to mention that his printing and composition methods make his work on
topic for "alt."

As for Plato's Republic and expulsion therefrom -- I'd put up politicians
who tell the public sinister lies and various other home grown evil-doers
first for that ignominy, wouldn't you? Someone who simply invents his own
shadows in ways we've never thought of actually enhances that cave, which
could otherwise get to be quite a bore...

J.