Re: PS About Witkin  Re: Diane Arbus

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/19/03-04:25:16 PM Z

I too rather enjoy Witkin's work, though I sometimes wonder if he's done with
it yet. He must be quite persuasive to get his subjects to do what they do,
for example, you would think a dwarf would rather hesitate to hack off a leg
for a photo, considering the he/she is already vertically challenged.

I was rather taken by a quote of his I saw someplace regarding how he wanted
people to remember his work. I don't have the original quote, but it went
something like "I would like to think that the last thing that might flash
through someone's mind at the moment of their death would be one of my images."

I thought that quite a powerful quote, though considering his images it is a
rather scarey thought that one might have the image of a stallion mounting a
female amputee pass through their mind as they float off to that digital
darkroom in the sky. But, enough of this horsing around.

Mark Nelson
PS: Judy, yes it is now DSM IV.... pretty soon they may even get it right.
They have expert systems software now that you can come to a diagnosis by
answering a series of questions. I tried it on a client who was a pedophile and
found out he was a priest.