Re: PS About Witkin  Re: Diane Arbu s

sbell1@artic.edu
Date: 09/21/03-03:39:15 PM Z

Hey everyone,

just a few comments on the effect of art on psychopathology. when it comes
down to it, a fairly obvious point is that majority of the population knows
nothing of fine art. they don't care, they don't pay attention. not since
warhol, or maybe keith haring, has their been an artist who was known by the
general population. so if we think about it, someone as obscure as witkin
really only has viewers in the fine art world, and also taking into account
the fact that photography isn't as widely popular in the art world as, say,
painting or sculpture.

it's true that 'psychopaths' may be different than the general population, but
if we look at people like dahmer or gein or james pough, they all were pretty
average people who had relatively tortured early lives. so i would still
contend that they were part of the general population that paid little
attention to the art world, especially someone like witkin.

i think what's mostly been found as a contributor to psychopathology is
problems during early socialization. ie-when someone is young. early
experiences.

sorry, this is way OT, but i couldn't help myself. my art lately has been
dealing with mental illness and such more than anything else.

cheers,

Steve