RE: Copyright

From: David Foy (dfoy@marketactics.com)
Date: 09/21/03-08:47:30 PM Z

Original materials (including writings) which are published do not thereby
automatically go into the public domain. They remain the property of the
person who originated them. Copyright, in other words. Posting to a
discussion group is surely a form of publication.

However, it is not the idea that is someone's property, but the expression
of that idea. Any of us are free to make images of Half Dome, even though
the Ansel Adams Trust holds a copyright on his images of Half Dome. We can
copyright a book of genealogy based on census records, and so can anyone
else, based on the same records. A Bach cantata, long in the public domain,
can be published in a new edition by anyone, but that edition cannot be
copied.

So it would surprize me if anyone could lift these posts verbatim, or nearly
so, publish them, and get away with it. But it would surprize me even more
if someone could not legitimately summarize and re-state them.

David Foy