RE: Copyright

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/22/03-09:53:45 AM Z

Among other observations -- well, what is a Monday morning without irony ?
-- I note that so far all list comments support the concept of copyright
(as do I), while dwelling on the difficulty of enforcing it. I recall
however that in the first year of the list, a fellow whose name I'll
remember tomorrow (Seymour something?), insisted that "knowledge should be
free" and was (again by memory) seconded by a couple of others who
probably never depended for a livlihood on rewards for their intellectual
labors either.

I'll add however, that I have in various places read the claim/assertion
that what is "published" on an e-mail newsgroup is already "published" and
hence fair game. Don't rely on that in court, however.

My own personal solution when recently I thought a thread on the list
added enough to a topic at issue that it should be organized & excerpted
into (at least IMO) a more accessible form in HARD COPY (that is for
Post-Factory), was to credit the list, the writer and the date, and then
never more than the 75 words "fair use" -- or that by hindsight, perhaps
exceeded for quotes of friends I was reasonable sure wouldn't sue me...

Because of course it wasn't feasible given the givens of the agony of
production to request 20 or 30 individual permissions. But I'll add that
when I have asked permission from this or other sources it's never been
denied...

But, I must add, I'm told that I'm told articles both articles from
Post-Factory and my own posts to this list have appeared on various
websites without any permission from me. Despite a comprehensive
"copyright" notice on each issue...

Which brings us to another dandy topic if one be needed... MODEL
RELEASES... but let's not go there....

cheers,

Judy