Helmut Newton

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/22/03-10:25:41 AM Z

So while we're having this nice friendly discussion about "controversial"
photography, I draw attention to an EXTREMELY interesting article in
yesterday's NY Times (Style Section, if memory serves) about Helmut
Newton. We had a discussion about him on the list a few years ago, with,
I believe, the consensus condemning him for "pornography." I myself,
considering Newton one of the greats, explained that the actual problem
isn't so much pornography, but pornography that masquerades as art -- for
instance E. Weston's shots of Charis with her legs spread (very soft porn
indeed by today's standards of course, but the lubricious element is
always ignored in the winds of hagiography.)

Newton's "pornograpy," or lubricity, is right front & center -- honest in
other words -- and IMO extremely well done.

J.