Re: PS About Witkin Re: Diane Arbu s

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 09/22/03-10:36:27 AM Z

I didn't mean to imply that Jeffery Dhamer was "inspired" by Witkin, only
that their "art work" seems to resonate. Yes, one uses fantasy while the other
stepped over that line. No doubt there's an important distinction between
actually cutting off a head and painting it silver and finding a severed head and
arranging it for a photograph. I was also commenting on Judy's statement that
Within was a genius, "an evil genius, perhaps," who supposedly "lives within
civilized law and only makes naughty pictures," which presumably makes him a
"solid citizen."
  I know it's unfashionable these days to make moral judgments, or even to
insist that there may actually be such a thing as right and wrong. As someone
else on the list put it, "...if there are limits, they're the limits of what
the public will stomach." Well, that's exactly the point. We seem to be able
to stomach just about anything these days.

Arthur