Re: Re: PS About Witkin Re: Diane Arbu s

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/23/03-01:22:15 PM Z

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> I don't know Arthur, I really find it hard to stomach these huge color
> photographs with no interesting content that seem to be the rage at a lot of the
> shows, such as the Annual Navy Pier Art Show. It did sort of make me want to
> remove a few heads.

Exactly. Which is more unstomachable -- some Witkin with grotesque
imagery but RICH with content, both graphic & conceptual, or those
vacuous fashionoid trend photographs, so slick they could slide right off
the wall.

Speaking of Witkin, however, no one has mentioned one of his greatest
delights: Harms Way -- lust & madness, murder & mayhem. A book of
photographs of the above, truly gripping, funny, obscene, pathetic,
fascinating and timeless. Twin Palms, 1994.

Judy