Re: Helmut Newton

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/23/03-01:31:30 PM Z

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 Ender100@aol.com wrote:
> Now I am going to stick my neck out to be severed as if by Witkin's camera...
> regarding Charis's legs which are strategically pointing to the North and the
> South—well, maybe North and Southwest. First, I suppose I should ask what
> it is that that strikes you as "soft porn"? I have seen some wonderful work
> by Annie Liebowitz that used a similar pose of a female and I did not feel I
> was looking at soft porn. I must say I did not feel this when looking at work
> by Weston either. Neither soft nor hard. (OK, I'll apologise in advance
> for that one) Now if Eddie or Annie had photographed a male in the same pose,
> would it be considered the same—soft porn?

Puleeze -- don't give us "IF." The point is, they *didn't* photograph a
male like that -- until very recently. Or not for general audience "art"
(possibly Gilbert & George for the gay trade, but even that was 40 to 50
years later).

The Charises, with the knees coyly up just so, the tight riding pants over
crotch, etc. etc. were IN THEIR TIME utterly pornographic poses, just
masked by aura of "art." You cannot cannot cannot judge by our time.
After all, in the 1890s an actress photographed with her hair backlighted
was considered blasphemous because the effect created suggested a halo,
and actresses were considered sinners.

J.