Re: Autochromes

From: Robert Hudyma (rhudyma@netcom.ca)
Date: 09/24/03-08:48:36 AM Z

At 04:53 PM 9/23/03 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> The best sources of information on Autochrome and other
>early color processes is:
>1, _The History of Three Color Photography_ E.J.Wall,
>Original publication, Boston, 1925, The American
>Photographic Publishing Co. Reprinted, London, 1970, The
>Focal Press ISBN 0-240-50702-9
>
>2, _History of Color Photography_ J.S.Friedman, Original
>publication; Boston, 1944, reprinted 1956, The American
>Photographic Publishing Co. Reprinted as the second edition,
>with added material, London, 1972, The Focal Press ISBN
>0-240-44888-X

I agree with Richard's recommendations, I read Wall's book over the summer
and it is certainly well written, authoritative and comprehensive.

I found Wall's other text:

_Practical Color Photography_ E. J. Wall, American Photographic Publishing
Co. 1922, Second edition, enlarged, October 1928.

to be an easier read but it has little information on Autochromes (I was
interested in the Lippmann process and it has an in-depth treatment).

For the Autochrome process, The Photohistorian, an obscure but well written
publication, had an excellent article:

PH93–7374 The Manufacture of the Lumiere Autochrome Plates.
WELFORD, Sam The PhotoHistorian, Summer 1993, (101), 2, 24–9.
Technical procedures, formulae and machines used in preparing, dying,
milling and rolling the starch grains, varnishing and emulsion coating the
glass plates.

The above article will give you a real appreciation for the complexity and
precision that is required to make an autochrome plate. This is something
that you really want to understand in depth before you try and make your own.

Regards
Bob Hudyma