Re: Van Dykes

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/24/03-09:53:18 PM Z

Assuming that you are metering correctly I think that underexposing
by a full stop would be two drastic and would likely result in the
loss of important shadow detail. You gain some effective film speed
by developing for longer than normal, but you won't gain a full stop
with any film/developer combination I know. I advise a more moderate
approach of rating the film at the ASA recommended by the
manufacturer, but developing about 50% longer than would be normal
for printing with silver gelatin papers.

That assumes that you plan to use the negatives for contact printing.
If your goal is to use the in-camera negatives to make enlarged
negatives then just expose and develop normally. When you make the
enlarged negative you can adjust the contrast to the requirements of
the printing process.

Sandy