Re: Vandyke brown

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 09/25/03-04:16:11 PM Z

This sound very interesting - have you tried actually soaking the cloth? I
suppose wringing out the excess would give streaks.....some of the students
here work with cloth and the resultant mess is awe-inspiring!!!!

Mapplethorpe's work you say is on "silk". Any idea what kind??? I'm not
surprised that there is a difference as the fibres are from completely
different sources, one's animal protein (silk) and the other's cellulose
based. When dyeing silk and cotton different chemistry is used so it makes
sense that different processes might work better on different types of
cloth. Cyanotype certainly works well on silk.

Kate Mahoney