Re: Copyright

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 09/25/03-04:10:32 PM Z

I agree wholeheartedly - it's mean but common for people to assemble
knowledge and then profit by it - but there is a small problem - if we
share techniques, and somebody goes away and works, partly using
information from the list (say as a component of what they are doing) and
then decides to publish a book, it's debateable whether it's morally wrong.
And certainly in copyright terms it's not legally wrong because the book
itself is the author's work. We're all familiar with "assembly" texts of the
past with whole blocks of information simply lifted from others' work. These
have become notorious for containing misinformation (see numerous postings
about gum on this list :) !) Let's hope that any would-be modern plagiarists
share a similar fate. Btw John Barnier's "Coming into Focus" is a good model
of how shared information can be published - with full authorship to the
artist.

Kate Mahoney