Re: Copyright and The Fear of Sharing

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/26/03-03:07:23 PM Z

Katherine,

I wrote a response to your note below, and, like you, I ended up deleting it
and not sending it—something I am sure the list members would wish that I did
more often.

Then I decided to write a different note. This past 9 months I have had the
good fortune to take 4-5 trips (one to Apis in Santa Fe) in my little 4Runner
accompanied by Jane, the voice navigation system, who is about the only
person who could stand to spend that much time with my sense of humor. These
trips were a great chance to see a small part if this huge, beautiful country and
photograph a bit of it. With 30,000 miles of driving between both coasts and
a couple of trips by plane, I also had the wonderful opportunity to meet much
Alt Photo practitioners. Many of whom I had never met before.

What I experienced was one of the kindest, most sharing, fun group of people
you could imagine. They shared their work, ideas, and even a few tricks.
In some cases they even shared their food and homes to put me up for the night.
  I did not find them obnoxious in any way. Their "Egos" seemed to be tamed
and controlled. They didn't seem to have anything to prove. Their proof
was in the wonderful work they shared with me. I felt I could ask all the
questions I wanted, however, I didn't try to get them to give me a workshop in an
evening for free either. Even though many of them may know more than I will
ever know in my lifetime about certain alt processes they did not talk down to
me or scoff at my questions—however ignorant the questions might have been.
A number of these people are on this list and to them, again, I say "thank
you" for your kindness and sharing.

So, I guess my point is this. We can choose to be afraid to share if we
want and the list can die from lack of content. Or, we can share ideas and
techniques and make the list valuable for people to subscribe to and participate
in. I would choose the latter, because I think this is a choice that makes us
somehow a little better and it is a choice to live rather than die. For the
occasional misuse of the information that might occur here, there are bound
to be hundreds of situations where good information is shared, appreciated,
used to make wonderful works of art. To me this is part of what living is
about.

Thanks for listening,
Mark Nelson
(hehehehe)