Re: The Eerie Exactness of the Daguerrotype (Review in NY Times)

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/26/03-08:37:09 PM Z

It has been my experience that most gallery personel have no knowledge of
how to properly light and show a daguerreotype. I always explain how this
should be done in great detail whenever I enter any of my dags in a show but
sometimes it is a futile effort. The last Three Rivers Art Festival I
entered (about two years ago) accepted two of my dags from slides. I
actually traveled to Pittsburgh in order to explain how these pieces must be
shown and lighted. When the show went up my dags were hung about 7 feet high
in a dim corner. You could barely see an image at all. This in the city
which is the hometown of the Daguerreian Society. Needless to say I have
never been back.

I work and show my alternative prints mostly in W. Va. Nobody, but nobody
around here has any idea what I am doing.

All I can say is, "I'll ne pas gai, la vie d'artist."

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

>From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: The Eerie Exactness of the Daguerrotype (Review in NY Times)
>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:22:15 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I saw this show in Paris in June, in its larger form. I found it extremely
>difficult to see the pictures, due mostly to their reflective surfaces,
>poor
>lighting in the exhibition rooms and rather faint images. Fortunately the
>accompanying book, now presumably available in an English version, shows
>the images
>to perfection. Arthur

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month
(depending on the local service providers in your area).
https://broadband.msn.com