Re: Copyright

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/26/03-10:44:27 PM Z

> If some members of this list feel that they are being infringed upon,
> perhaps they should consider legal action or write their own books.
> But in doing so, don't use any outside material without reference to
> the original author or creator of that material. Additionally, you
> cannot copyright information that has been in the public domain for 100
> or more years.
> Kent

Dear All,

I haven't posted much lately because of grad school busting my butt (huh,
Sam? Can I come with you to Mark's?) but I've followed this thread with
interest. I had an uncomfortable situation in the near past crop up with an
unethical use of my Experimental Workbook--I learned the hard way what not
to do, but hey, in the long run, it all has worked out. It is now at
PhotoEye and the International Center of Photography, the info is out there,
in print, being used, and it is a good thing--not a moneymaker, but sort of
like an act of service to share all your process secrets with anyone eager
to learn (it is NOT alt process stuff so don't get paranoid).

In the past I have worried about whether someone has cut and pasted my
*wonderful* contributions to this list, and my *scintillating* gum advice.
AND my scintillating gum research, which has taken me hundreds of hours to
collect and quite a few dollars to test.

Then I realized that, according to the gum printers on this list, my
supposed scintillating info was wrong at every turn. SO, I figure, if
someone plagiarizes my words, according to this list all that info they are
plagiarizing is wrong and that will be their just punishment for daring to
plagiarize! See, I'm looking at the positive side.

I have to agree with Kent, above; those gummists whose knowledge is correct
should put their own book in print before someone else plagiarizes them.
Then, what is there to fear? I, for one, plan on writing out my 68pp of
(errata) notes into some form of a manual for sure in the next two years
during my MFA, and I can assure you that NOTHING in it will be from this
list--unless it's something I myself posted. And I even have footnotes and
page numbers to prove it. FROM 100 year old books :)

But heaven forbid I should ever publish it, or Christina Z will replace Paul
Anderson as the latest topic of dread on the list, that will rival the
indigo wars as WELL as the pigment stain causes. I'll have to wrap it in
brown paper and sell it clandestinely.

All said tongue in cheek and with a hehehe, but with a kernel of truth
to it.

Seriously, now; the whole point of the list is to share openly and freely,
and I agree with Mark Nelson; if we feel we can't do so either because of
plagiarism or because of being incorrect with our knowledge, the list dies.
And I'm not interested in wasting my time in worry--nor defending my
postings.

Enough said. Back to work.

Regards,
Chris