Re: The Eerie Exactness of the Daguerrotype (Review in NY Times)

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 09/27/03-02:30:59 AM Z

> --Boundary_(ID_QpyijJqvNz4oD8FbFPf7uQ)
>
> I saw this show in Paris in June, in its larger form. I found it
> extremely difficult to see the pictures, due mostly to their reflective
> surfaces, poor lighting in the exhibition rooms and rather faint
> images. Fortunately the accompanying book, now presumably available in
> an English version, shows the images to perfection. Arthur

Dim lighting is necessary to preserve the images, and with so many of them
it would be impossible to present them all perfectly. I don't think the
book has an English version, but I seem to remember when I wrote my review
 (based on the Paris showing)

http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa090803b.htm

a few weeks back there was something about a CD for the NY show on their
web site. The catalogue looked very good, but I was travelling light.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/