Re : Autochrome centenary

From: Jean-Paul Gandolfo (jpgalt@infonie.fr)
Date: 09/27/03-03:07:06 AM Z

Dear Judy
I met M WOOD at Albert KAHN museum some years ago during an european trip he
made at this time to write his book. Nice book with an extensive
bibliography related to autochrome topics.
The National Geographic centenial book contains also beautiful color plates.
Another great book was plubished in 1995 by Alain SCHEIBLI (grandson of
Louis Lumière and son of Suzanne if my memory is right) :
Les autochromes Lumière, Collection privée de la famille, Lyon 1903 la
couleur inventée (self published). A limited edition was made with prints on
tracing paper(transparent), a challenge for offset printer.
We hope to publish a book next year with my friend Betrand Lavedrine, but
it's another story.
(My Post Factory subscription was restarting right, thanks for your message)
Best regards from Paris and Brie plain (cheese again ?)

--
Jean-Paul GANDOLFO
ENS Louis LUMIERE
>De : Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
>À : alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Objet : Re: Autochrome centenary
>Date : Sam 27 sep 2003 6:17
>

> Jean-Paul's story of replicating Autochrome is awesome...  makes gum
> printing sound like kindergarten (as of course it practically is). But for
> anyone interested in the process, let me suggest two books by John Wood.
> The first is "The Photographic Arts," which has a section on autochromes &
> a very provocative essay -- stating his iconoclastic view that the
> Steiglitz crowd were mere amateurs of the process, tho they talked a good
> game -- while others, forgotten today, were the real maestros.  The other
> book is titled Autochrome... I don't have that one, have only flipped
> through it, but the reproductions therein are stunning. (I wasn't as
> impressed by the choices in The Photographic Arts; they looked to me too
> much like National Geographic.)
>
> Judy
>
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Jean-Paul Gandolfo wrote:

>> >De : Jonathan Bailey <jon@jonathan-bailey.com>
>> >À : alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>> >Objet : RE: Autochromes
>> >Date : Mar 23 sep 2003 13:58
>>

>> > Jean-Paul Gandolfo in Paris has been working for some time on replicating
>> > Lumiere's process.  He teaches, appropriately enough, at Ecole Lumiere.
The