Re: coating method Part 2

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 09/28/03-04:04:34 AM Z

What are you using for a surfactant? I am having a bit of trouble with
bubbles too. I usually coat the paper with a 2" hake then roll all over the
surface with a DRY roller. Applying the emulsion with a roller I find
impossible - bubbles everywhere. But I can only get cheap open-cell foam
rollers.
Did you use actual silk in the screen or a polyester??? Maybe it would make
a difference. Forcing the emulsion through the screen obviously created
little air pockets that form bubbles as you lift it off..can't think of any
solution to that one. Maybe the emulsion doesn't need glutaraldehyde to
print with a screen but rather would be better thinned a little?

I've found the formaldehyde has improved the adhesion to glass hugely in my
work. Also been using a different glass prep solution which I have no idea
what it is chemically! Has a LOT of alcohol in it anyway. No more troubles
with lifting and frilling and I just sold 3 works so I'm well
pleased......I've tried adding glycerine to the emulsion - just a drop to
50ml - and that seems to aid spread and smoothness quite a bit.

Kate Mahoney