coating method Part 2

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 09/27/03-03:36:25 AM Z

So I tried a few things based on suggestions I got here last
time. Thanks all who responded, including those I didn't respond. When
a post contains sufficient details I sometimes don't respond until I
try it myself. Anyway, here's part 2.

I tried to locate Richeson wash brush locally, but couldn't find
it. But I found smaller 9010 series as well as wash brushes from other
brands including those using synthetic bristles. I think thin,
tapered, synthetic bristles with good body and soft tips are the key.
The tip must be well aligned straight. Accidentally, I found a
relatively cheaper alternative. It's American Brush Pro Edge #3880, 4"
Wall Brush, Nylon-poly blend. This is a high quality brush for
painting wall, columns, etc. found in hardware stores, and cost about
20 bucks. Ferrule is stainless steel, and this brush doesn't shed.

Using this brush was fun. I made a new batch of emulsion which is less
viscous than previous one, and coated Borden & Riley #234 Paris Bleed
Proof Paper and BFK Rives. With BFK Rives I can make a very even coat
and paper surface isn't napped even after repeated working, unlike
with foam brushes. The problem is tiny bubbles. I tried various
amounts of surfactant but this needs more adjustment. Any tip on
avoiding tiny bubbles with brushes?

Rollers - I picked a 3" roller with shortest napping but it produced
excessive bubbles with any amount of surfactant. The coating was
otherwise very uniform. With solutions that don't bubble, roller might
be a useful technique, but it doesn't seem to be a very good option
for silver gelatin process.

Terry Holsinger suggested screen coating. I bought a printing screen
and a rubber squeegee, and made emulsion a bit viscous by adding
glutaraldehyde but obviously it was nothing like screen printing
ink. So the result is thhat... it looks ok (at least to my naive eyes)
until I lift up the screen, at that point a lot of bubbles form and
the result is worse than the roller. Does anyone have experience with
screen printing and how to do it well? Of course, I'm only interested
in application of the ink (emulsion), squeezing and releasing part.

What kind of antifoaming agents do people use?

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)