Re: the great GPR "test"

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 09/27/03-10:22:52 PM Z

Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Dave Rose wrote:

====== some deleted: snip%<

It seems that she's [JUDY] more interested in discrediting and
disproving prior authors on gum printing in order to establish herself
as the self-appointed 'new expert' on gum.

Dave,

I have to jump in here and defend Judy. She's a friend and has been
printing and teaching alt-photo long before this list was here (maybe
even before you knew what gum was). In fact we met at Pratt when we
were both teaching there in the 1980s. I was responsible for coaxing
Judy, who was reluctant to join, onto the list when the list was in
its' infancy. To be honest I don't think she's trying to be a "new
expert" on gum as you put it ( always be careful when calling the
kettle black! ) because she already is an expert on gum as I think her
prints amply demonstrate. I read Judy's most recent gum post and
really all she does is reiterate what had already been said - what's
the harm in that? If it bores you, go on to the next message.

Your rationale for using the test is actually one of the better
arguments I've I've heard for it - so what's the need to go on - you
were doing fine? I again would suggest, as I did in an earlier post,
that we all concentrate less on personality and more process. If we
think a technique is counterproductive and can state our case we
should do so, but in doing so perhaps we should try to leave names out
of it and focus on the issue at hand.

-greg schmitz

------

Backed by the specious promise of imminent economic recovery and
secured by the guarantee of never-ending war, the legislative measures
mobilized by the White House and the Congress suggest that what the
Bush Administration has in mind is not the defense of the American
citizenry against a foreign enemy but the protection of the American
oligarchy from the American democracy. In every instance, and no
mater what the issue immediately at hand, the bias is the same--more
law limiting the rights of individuals, fewer laws restraining the
rights of property.

                                                Lewis H. Laphom
                                                Harpers, March 2003