Re: Copyright

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/28/03-02:32:12 PM Z

I haven't read the entire thread on copyright, but from what I've read
it appears I seem to have offended some people with my concern about
copyright, and no doubt I did make myself look a bit ridiculous there.

To restate my position: I don't have any objection to sensible citation
in a scholarly sense; my whole objection was to the idea that copyright
doesn't apply here at all and it's perfectly okay to just lift things
wholesale from this forum and sell them. My remarks were taken to mean
all kinds of things I didn't mean, which is puzzling to me. If I was
against freely sharing information, for goodness sake, I wouldn't have
been answering every gum question that's been asked here for the last
five years. And it wasn't about paranoia, it was about weariness and
seeing things in a different light, realizing finally that there are
probably better uses for my time.

Given that fresh perspective, my sharing of information will take a
different form from now on; more about that later. But after reading
that string of posts taking me to task for my stand on the pigment test,
(I mean, it's hardly an extreme position to say that the jury is out on
the pigment test; science simply doesn't allow us any stronger
conclusion than that!) I feel like Chris: given that no one here seems
to think I know what I'm talking about anyway, I probably don't need to
worry that anyone is going to misappropriate whatever precious jewels of
wisdom I may have shared here, in fact I enjoyed a hearty laugh at
myself over the whole thing. So, as you were.
Katharine Thayer