Testing the Stain Test

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/29/03-02:54:48 PM Z

I have an a friend who is an artist that wears old long sleeve shirts when he
paints. Once in a while we would go out for coffee and the yuppies in
Wrigleyville would sometimes ask him where he got his "designer shirt". So, he
decided to hang some of his "paint shirts" in shop below his apartment that
specializes in second hand clothes and other knick knacks. Lo and behold, he
sold a few of his shirts for $60 each. Unfortunately I didn't get him to give
me one before he found out they were designer shirts. Otherwise I would have
taken one and run it through a series of wash cycles on the old Maytag and
then measure swatches with my densitometer and see if I could get some sort of
data for a stain test.

On the serious side of things, however, it seems to me that with all the
brains and experience on this August list, we could devise a test using certain
variables that would allow this poor horse to sleep peacefully in its heavanly
pastures.

It might even be kinda fun. However, the one problem is that we would have
to agree upon the variables and the methodology. Well maybe interpretation
of the results would be a problem too. We would also have to standardize the
materials—perhaps little kits of paints, gum, dichromate, papers and water
could be sent to all the testers with the agreed upon instructions on how to do
the test.

Mark Nelson