Re: Keepers of Gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/29/03-10:08:42 AM Z

As for Mark's suggestion that we have a massive list-wide stain test to
put the question to rest forever: it would be wonderful if we could do
that, but I seem to remember reading in the archives (it was before my
time here) an account of a similar kind of test to find the "best" gum.
It ended inconclusively; even when people sent samples of gum to each
other so they were using the exact same batch of gum, it came out
different in different places. It seems to me that such efforts are
doomed to failure; a better approach seems to me that we each find what
works for us and understand that what works for us may not generalize to
others' situations.

And it's interesting to note that the gum I love wasn't even in the
running in these tests. As I told the group when I came here in 1998, I
appreciated all their advice and testing results and all, but my prints
told me that I didn't need to make any changes in my process, and it was
my prints that I was going to listen to.
kt