NUARC & Units 3 questions

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/29/03-06:49:07 PM Z

List,

I seem to remember a while back there was some discussion of NUARC plate
burners.

Here is my question. I thought, probably mistakenly, that a UNIT on one
NUARC was equal to a UNIT on another NUARC. However, I know some other Alt
Photo Personages that have them also and when we compare exposures say for PT/PD,
we each have a very different number of units. Or, you could say our UNITS
differ drastically (so to speak).

I had thought that the built in integrator was responsible for this
equivalency between machines. After thinking about the results of some tests we ran,
my little brain came up with the following explanation. Each machine may
have its own standard UNIT. You could punch in 10 UNITS and expose 10 times for
10 units and that would be a total of 100 UNITS—or you could set it for 100
UNITS and expose for an equivalent exposure. The integrator just keeps track
of how much light is put out and accounts for the variance in warming up, etc.
when you hit the start button.

So my FIRST QUESTION is this: Am I correct in assuming that an exposure of
say 400 UNITS would not be the equivalent between machines?

My SECOND QUESTION is this: I heard somewhere, maybe at Starbucks, that you
could adjust the UNITS to different values. I've looked all over the place
to do this on this thing and I don't see any adjustment dial, screw, lever,
button or anything. Should I give up looking?

My THIRD QUESTION is this: I thought my right hand looked a little pallid,
so I got out my light meter and took readings at various points on a grid over
the bed of the NUARC. I used the foot candle setting. I assume that I am
not getting accurate UV readings with a standard light meter, but perhaps some
indication of what might be going on. In doing so, I found variance over
the bed from 900 to 2200 foot candles. Has anyone ever looked at how even
their NUARC exposes images? If so, is it good or bad? Is anyone noticing hot
spots or cool spots on their prints? Or should I just figure it's close
enough for Gum printing and forget it?

Thanks for your kind responses in advance.

By the way—I still am a victim of the AOL conspiracy to keep me uninformed,
so I don't get every post that comes from the list. Should I not respond to
someone's question on the list, send it again to me privately and I will be
happy to respond. I fear I have missed at least half the posts on Indigo/Gum
and my score card is probably no longer valid for lack of complete data.

Mark Nelson
(He Whose Right Hand Is Now More Tan Than His Left)