Re: is this a good book on Platinum/Palladium printing??

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 09/30/03-06:57:19 AM Z

curzon@tegenlicht.com wrote:
> I'm very new to the alt-photo techniques.
> ... Dick Arentz. I
> checked his website and liked his prints. I saw he also wrote
> a book about Platinum and Palladium prints:
> Can anyone tell me if this is a good book?
> I'm reading The Keepers of Light (W Crawford). This is an
> excelent book on the techniques and its history, but also a good HOW TO
> book.

Crawford's book is not good at all for Pt/Pd techniques nor
understanding the process even though it may be good at it's history and
place in photography. I would say the same of the Silver Sunbeam. Even
though supposedly knowledgeable for the time it was written and
containing historical significance, I have found it to be inaccurate and
misleading.

Dick Arentz has an excellent book on Pt/Pd. Be sure to get the most
recent edition. Even though I do not subscribe to Dick's sensitometic
methods (I have my own which differ), they are well described and will
work well. I wholeheartedly recommend Dick's book to anyone involved
with the Pt/Pd process.

Also you should check out my guide on Pt/Pd printmaking from the link
below. Lots of work-tested technique, methods, procedures and study.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/