Re: Copyright

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam@pinehill.com)
Date: 09/30/03-11:20:13 AM Z

Katherine, I understood immediately what you thought you were only
trying to explain, and agree with you. This world seems to be comprised
of sellers , makers, and buyers (cost doesn't matter, maybe users is a
better term, but somewhat laden with connotation). As at the turn of the
19th century, we've had one guy make an unbelievable fortune, this means
every other guy has to compete with him or lose influence. It doesn't
much matter to any of these guys how they get their fortunes, they just
have to be big. Therefore, with few exceptions, the concept of
reciprocal altruism has temporarily disappeared, delayed gratification
is considered no gratification at all.

Therefore, until this period passes, if it ever does (the danger being
that we're so much closer to a plutocracy than democracy these days,
there may be no peaceful path back), the makers must protect themselves
from being exploited, the methodology varying depending on
circumstances. In your case, I'd put a copyright notice on every message
here that you think contains valuable work, I'd file that copyrighted
work, and I'd enforce that copyright with vengeance whenever it's
transgressed. It's a lot more work, but we've got to stop them somehow.

Pam