Re: HP5+ for alternative processes

From: LCFSHEEN@aol.com
Date: 04/02/04-08:06:14 PM Z

dstevenbryant@mindspring.com writes:

> Could you please post the results of your testing here?
>
> Also, I've used Amidol as an active ingredient for printing AZO contact
> paper but I'm not familiar with any film developer formulas that use Amidol.
> Could you share those with us?
>
> As I recall, T.K. wrote that PQ Universal (1:9) was an excellent developer
> for FP4, I would like to give that a try. Is the PQ U. formula proprietary
> or can it be mixed at home in my darkroom?
>
> And since I'm asking a bunch of questions can you tell us more about the
> Cyanotype Rex and Chrysotype Rex processes? They sound very intriguing.

We will certainly post the results of the tests here. We would also
appreciate any help anyone can offer to ensure that any tests are as objective as
possible.

There are different amidol recipes for film and paper but they both involve
making up a solution of sodium sulphite and then sprinkling 4 grammes of amidol
 per litre onto the surface just before starting work. The film developer has
added sodium metabisulphite. I will post the recipes which can be found in
the Illiffe Encyclopaedia of Photography and elsewhere..

PQ is now, I understand, marketed in the US.

There is more about the cyanotype rex and chrysotype rex on the
hands-on-pictures web site,www.hands-on-pictures.com, together with pictures. As you will
have seen, there are to be presentations at APIS 2004 in Dumfirmline ( a
special educational course onsingle malts can be arranged).. The results from both
processes are really quite remarkable. Using image setter negs, the
cyanotype-r comes up in 45 seconds. When using continuous tone film the process will
record past step 16 on a half stop step wedge. in five minutes. The colour and
flexibility from toning are stunning.. Today we even checked to see whether
there would be a differences in using Keemun or Assam as a toner.

The gold one is just as exciting. It is repeatable, cheap and easy. We have
got everythiing from blacks and greys through mauves to purples, browns and
metallic gold.

The intention is to present the paper on pyro tests at APIS as well.. One
very keen pyro person has given us the ready mixed chemicals for his formua for
the tests. We would be grateful for others beyond PMK and pyrocat with
explanations as to why different ingredients are there. and whether the differences
are significant.