Re: ink jet neg substrate

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 04/02/04-11:42:39 PM Z

Mark,
I am not too scientific on this but I have noticed absolutely no puddling on
any of the substrates, as long as you print on the correct side. :) As far
as drying time, I literally print out and immediately expose, so I don't
wait 15 minutes if I can help it, for the neg to dry as sometimes I see
suggested. No difference in b+f in practice because I expose all at 4
minutes under UVBL. Every neg, every RGB separation, every YMB color
pigment. I have been experimenting with doubling my pigment this week, and
I am finding that I have to expose my final layer a tad longer if I want to
spray develop. I am beginning to beg to differ that blue prints quicker
than red. As the saying goes, "Not in my practice".

If I were to say there was any difference in dot gain, I would say the Photo
Warehouse may be like, what do you call it, 0 dot gain? But I don't notice
an ounce of dot gain on any of it, but it is not under a microscope. In
practice, no dif in sharpness between all. But this is gum, not platinum.

If I ruin a neg I'll scratch it for you; otherwise, I avoid scratching my
negs, just my eyes out lately, gum printing day and night. I have never
noticed a scratch on any of them. But after I'm done, I put each into a
sleeve in a notebook to protect.

Nighty-night,
Chris

>>Did you notice any difference in dot gain, puddling, drying time between
the
substrates?

Any difference in base + fog when printing?

Resistance to scratching?

Usually the films have an emulsion side to take the ink and wetting it will
make it show easily, as you did.

Thanks for the great rundown!

Mark Nelson